Monday, June 11, 2018

Master Plans



     As I prepared for Monday’s Council meeting, I was confronted with hundreds of pages of reading material as it related to the final adoption of several Master Plans. I was struck by the scope of the Utilities Master Plan in particular, which is described in the summary as “…comprehensive, multi-faceted plan...”. It occurred to me that it epitomizes each of the respective Plans that staff has been bringing forward for Council adoption.


     The broad scope of what I had been reading and hearing from staff regarding their respective Master Plans is very impressive. I have not been part of such an ambitious undertaking during my previous three terms on Council; I think it is fair to say that this present initiative of updating the collective body of all our Master Plans is unprecedented in our city’s history. In fact, it is very likely that such an ambitious initiative is unprecedented across our country.

     The detailed analyses; the observations; the identified opportunities; and the short to long-term financial plans lay the groundwork for many successive Councils to come. Each Plan’s recommendations include 25-year capital programs that are designed to be phaseable, affordable, resilient, sustainable, incremental, flexible, & grantable. Council’s task has in many ways become easier and the chances for success in achieving our vision for our city, more achievable.

     I recognize the incredible amount of work that has gone into each component of our Plan200k. The reports presented to Council are another reminder that we have a highly skilled and professional staff who deserve our thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment