Friday, October 12, 2018

Who Is Dave Loewen - My Bio




I was born and raised in Abbotsford; attended South Poplar Elementary, MEI, and Abbotsford Secondary schools. I am a retired educator, having taught two years in Australia, three in Manitoba, and 32 at MEI, including three years as Principal of the secondary school and two years as principal at MEI Chilliwack.

I hold a B.A. (Sociology) from Simon Fraser University, and a M.Ed. (Administration) from the University of Victoria.
   
Following high school, I volunteered two years with MCC in the Democratic Republic of Congo; here I managed of a Guest House for one year (at age 19), and did community development work for one year in a remote part of the Kivu Province, near Bukavu.

I have served on numerous boards and committees over the years:
  • ·         MCC BC Board member for 10 years, including vice-chair and chair positions,
  • ·         National and local church boards,
  • ·         Chair of the Canadian Mennonite University Council, Winnipeg;
  • ·         Director on the B.C. Federation of Independent Schools Associations Board;
  • ·         Director on the Heart2Heart (Haiti) Board; and
  • ·         Director on the Mennonite Historical Society of B.C. Board.


I am a member of Level Ground Mennonite Church, and am proud to serve our community as a member of the Rotary Club of Abbotsford; I am a recipient of a Paul Harris Fellow.

First elected to City Council in 2005, I am now serving in my fourth term. My responsibilities on Council have included most committees including:
  • ·         Mission-Abbotsford Transit Committee;
  • ·         Abbotsford Social Development Advisory Committee;
  • ·         City Industrial Development Advisory Committee;
  • ·         City Economic Development Advisory Committee;
  • ·         Environmental Advisory Committee;
  • ·         Abbotsford Youth Commission;
  • ·         Matsqui Dyking, Drainage and Irrigation Committee;
  • ·         Audit Committee;
  • ·         Mayor’s Task Force on Economic Development;
  • ·         Business, Innovation, Growth & Attraction Advisory Committee
  • ·         Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce (Council Liaison)
  • ·         Abbotsford Local Immigration Partnership Council
  • ·         Abbotsford Arts Council
  • ·         Homelessness Action Advisory Committee, Chair (2014-16)
  • ·         Parks, Recreation, and Culture Committee, Chair (2016-18)
  • ·         Fraser Valley Regional District Board. 
  • ·         Abbotsford’s Canada 150 Community Leader


I am married to Grace, a registered nurse, and we have two married sons and seven grandchildren, all living in Abbotsford. We enjoy traveling, which has taken them to five continents (some with student groups on service assignments), and to many parts of North America.

I have a keen interest in family history and genealogy, both of which occupy some of my leisure time. I enjoy the outdoors (hiking, snowshoeing, canoeing), as well as fitness-related activities (I have competed in Seniors’ Swimming; Sprint-Triathlons, GranFondos, Half-Marathon, numerous 5k & 10k runs, including all Run For Water events.).


No comments:

Post a Comment