Saturday, November 8, 2014

I WAS CONVINCED - I WAS WRONG!

2011 Referendum on Water


Three years ago, I was part of the City’s campaign to convince the public of a need to invest significant dollars into a project aimed at water security. My belief at that time was based on a number of findings and recommendations dating back to the 1990s, when the Abbotsford and Mission water utility was managed by the FVRD.

FVRD, Mission, and Abbotsford City staff believed a secure water supply needed to be addressed by 2016; internationally-renowned, and well-paid engineering consultants agreed; the Abbotsford-Mission Water & Sewer Commission agreed; both Councils agreed (until late spring of 2011). I was convinced – I was wrong; we were wrong!


Thank goodness, the instincts and collective wisdom of our residents prevailed, not to mention key individuals who raised red flags in opposition. Only recently, engineering staff have indicated that our present supply of water should last beyond 2030! 

Moving forward, a number of things need to be addressed: 
  1. Efficient distribution of available water.
  2. Redundancy in the system (A major landslide in the spring blocked access to Norrish Creek supply for a number of weeks.).
  3. Building our Water Reserve Fund for that day when the investment will be required.

3 comments:

  1. I commend you for your comment re: P3 Water..We all make mistakes
    but acknowledging the mistake is an important part of making positive
    change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, this admission seems 2.5 years too late. You've known for well over 2.5 years that you were dead wrong and you have waited until now to admit it.

    I was involved with a municipal campaign in 2011 that opposed the water project. I remember seeing your daily diatribes impugning the intelligence of those that opposed your precious water project and questioning the motives of those involved.

    This campaign I am involved with a group called Abbotsford First. We have legitimate opinions about the debt and finances of the City of Abbotsford that are being brought to the electorate.

    You relied upon experts in 2011 and as we see above we get an admission 3 years after the fact that you were wrong when you are fighting for your political life.

    I have been challenged by yourself and a council colleague to "do your homework". History was never my thing. I was better at accounting and economics but I remember something from my history class about failing to learn from your mistakes and being doomed to repeat them. I ask you Dave, what have you learned from your (now admitted) mistakes in the 2011 campaign that you can bring to the 2014 campaign? You admit you are wrong, but have you actually learned anything?

    It is my personal opinion that the City's finances leaves a lot to be desired both in the ground they stand on and in its transparency. Can Abbotsford afford for you to be wrong again? Will we be reading your blog again in 4 years when you are fighting for your career and see another admission that you were wrong? Can Abbotsford afford that?

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time to respond here. With respect to your question, we'll know soon.

    ReplyDelete